About a month ago Twig & Birdie were kind enough to send me their Balancing Face Oil and their Headache Remedy Relief. After using both products consistently, I wanted to share my final thoughts. (This post is not sponsored. The products were sent for free, but these opinions are my own)
First: Who is Twig & Birdie?
Twig + Birdie Apothecary is a small business that blends their products in small batches uses high-quality ingredients, and takes a minimalist approach when it comes to ingredient lists. They like to keep things simple and create products that are perfect for multi-tasking. If you follow Twig + Birdie on Instagram (@twigbirdie) it becomes immediately clear that they don’t use hype or marketing jargon and they genuinely care about making high-quality beneficial products. Basically–its a brand that I feel good about supporting.
Where to buy: https://twigandbirdieapothecary.com
This is a weightless oil that is great if you want something to heal and soothe your skin (this is packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients) in addition to providing antioxidant protection to fight free radicals.
- Ok, great. But what is a free radical?
- Free radicals are damaged oxygen molecules that are missing electrons. We produce some internally as cells turnover, but other free radicals come from things like pollution, UV rays, smoking. Within the body, free radicals attach to healthy cells to basically steal back electrons. This results in undue stress on the body and its cell which can cause collagen and elastin to break down. This breakdown in collagen and elastin makes your skin thinner and looser, and inevitably more wrinkled, saggy or rough.
- What can antioxidants do?
- Antioxidants are molecules that can prevent the oxidation of free radicals–essentially providing protection against the effects of damaging free radicals on the cells in your body, including your skin.
What is in Balancing Face Oil?
- This is great for all skin types. Great at preventing water loss in the skin (water loss = skin aging). Assists in the healthy production of the acid mantle (yay!), which helps to guard against bacteria. Balances skin oil production, unclogs pores (and can treat and prevent acne), hydrates and protects the skin.
- Excellent for mature or sensitive skin because of its emollient, nourishing, revitalizing properties. Rich in vitamins and minerals. Anti-inflammatory, is great at soothing irritation and helps to support the protective barrier function of the skin. This can also help smooth fine lines.
- Grapeseed oil
- High in vitamin E and C. It is healing and softening. It is high in omega-6 fatty acids, which makes it a light oil that is easily absorbed. Also has tightening and toning properties and it helps to strengthen collagen and maintain elastin.
- I love rosehip oil. A lot. So I love that it was in this. It helps to regenerate and even skin tone and fade hyper pigmentation. Promotes collagen production and has a noteworthy ability to heal and maintain the texture and softness of the skin.
- Lavender [Essential Oil]
- This may cause issues for people with essential oil sensitivities, but luckily my skin loves it. It is calming, healing, soothing and promotes new cell growth.
- Ylang Ylang [Essential Oil]
- This helps to balance sebum, soften wrinkles.
- Geranium [Essential Oil]
- Healing, antiseptic, cell regenerating.
- Carrot Seed
- High in vitamin A, soothes irritation, anti-aging, offers some natural (but limited) protection from UV rays. Healing for dry skin and helps to balance moisture in the tissues.
- Vitamin E
- Healing and useful as an antioxidant.
- Rosemary Extract [Essential Oil]
- Antioxidant and helps to extend the product shelf life.
From the first time I used it, I knew that I loved it. First, the oil sinks in SO beautifully (and quickly) into the skin. I always mist my face before applying oils, but for some thicker oils (like Sunday Riley Artemis) my skin needs to be super wet before applying. I only needed to do a light mist for this oil and it absorbed quickly and left my skin glowing.
How Have I Used this?
Below is a pic of some of the routines that I have used this in.
I have used this in both morning and night routines and I think it is great in both. I have worn this under makeup in the day multiple times and I think my makeup applies nicely when I use it and my skin looks particularly supple and hydrated. However, this oil did not help to control excess oil production (like Artemis does), but it also didn’t make me any more oilier than usual. This is not necessarily a fault of the oil, but I just wanted to mention that because I am looking for a replacement for Artemis (which is discontinued and started to crystallize). When I wear Artemis under my makeup in the daytime, my forehead stays miraculously shine free. I have tried many many oils but still haven’t been able to replicate that. (I digress). Out of all the oils I have tried, many do not work well under makeup and can only be applied at night, so I love the added versatility of this oil–because I can wear it day or night (or both!).
I have also mixed this in with a moisturizer on particularly dry days (after a lot of sun exposure and a retinol night) and that was the only time that it made me a bit greasier than I would like, BUT I was working from home and didn’t care that I had some excess grease because my skin felt so nourished and refreshed. I think people with dryer skin could mix a drop in with their moisturizer and could achieve perfect day-time moisturization.
I think this is a product that unassumingly, but effectively, works to keep your skin nourished and protected. This oil really impressed me, and when I run out I will definitely purchase another one. Also, it is my favorite smelling oil I own (it smells like a herbal spa). Many of my face oils in my collection don’t smell good, and I’m okay with that (as long as they are effective products). But it is lovely to have an oil that brings a smile to your face when you smell it. Also, I think the weightless texture of this oil is phenomenal. It is so light on the skin and absorbs like a dream. When I was staying with my parents, my mom used this oil and also LOVED it. Given the ingredients, I do think this would be a great oil for more mature skin types–but really I think this would work for anyone that isn’t sensitive to essential oils.
Next up– the Headache Remedy Stick
A little background on why I love it–I stare at a computer screen all day for work and there are days that work can be stressful and I can be quite tense. So usually at around 3pm and then again at the end of the day I get a burning sensation in the back of my neck which sucks. When that happens, I have been putting this oil directly on the place on my neck that burns and it has really helped! I have also used it when I have felt the lurking signs of a tension headache approaching. I was happy to find out that it does help the headache not get worse and a many times the headache went away completely! But when a full-on killer migraine is in the works, I reach for meds and use this just to help provide a cooling/soothing effect. I have also asked my mom and husband to use this when they mentioned they thought they were getting a headache, and they also noticed that it stopped the headache from coming on as strong or at all.
I find that I always have this and a small sample of May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon in my bag at all time–I use Blue Cocoon for moments of anxiety and this for those sharp neck pains or mild headaches.
Tip: When I feel a headache coming on I will put this on my earlobes, behind my ears, and down my neck. If you are putting it on your temples, don’t put too much. I was heavy-handed the first time and it dropped down near my eyes. No good 😬
What is in Headache Remedy?
- Peppermint, basil & rosemary cool, stimulate, ease pain and constrict blood vessels
- Lavender & Roman chamomile calm and soothe the nervous system.
Cost: $22 (this will last you a very long time!)
Would I purchase? Yes!
I went on their website to see what other Remedy Sticks they have, & I am super intrigued to try more. They have:
- Grounding Remedy (Frankincense & Sandalwood)
- Wellness Remedy (Balsam Fir & Vetiver)
- Energizing Remedy (Citrus & Mint)
- Sunday Blues Remedy (Lavender & Mandarin)
- Blemish Remedy (Tea tree & lavender)
Bottom line is that I think this is a great company to check out. I love supporting small businesses that are passionate about what they do, and Twig + Birdie is definitely passionate about creating high-quality (but affordable) products.<<